Thursday, September 20, 2012

Hospitality and Tourism Major

Hello welcome to my blog!  My name is Kelly and I'm studying Hospitality and Tourism Management in San Francisco State University.  This is my last semester here and I can't wait to graduate and go out to work in the real world.  My first intention when I got here wasn't to be in the hotel industry; my initial major was declared as Accounting.  However, as soon as I transferred from San Francisco City College and started to take some intermediate accounting classes, I know that accounting is not what I wanted.  I think to myself that I wanted something that's more interactive, outgoing and fun; therefore, I chose Hospitality and Tourism Management as my major.  Especially I love traveling to learn and experience different cultures in different places around the world, so I know hotel business is the perfect field to get in.  In addition to studying the hotel major, I also like about that this major offers students internships to let them better understand the real industry and skills needed before they graduate and step in the real world.  As to what I know about other majors, they don't have this opportunity offered to students.  I finished my internship this summer and I'm ready to graduate this semester.

5 comments:

  1. I work in the airport and I couldn't help but to realize that Tourism and Hospitality is the fastest growing industry in the world. What do you plan on doing in the Hotel industry? Have you thought about minoring in marketing? I think it would compliment your major.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the Tourism and Hospitality are indeed a very fast growing industry. I want to find a job in tourism after graduation or event management. Speaking of marketing class, I'm taking one right now and it is very important to have in the major. Since you work in the airport, maybe you can let me know what tourism job opportunities offered there.

      Delete
  2. I was also wondering about a minor in marketing for you. Tourism and Hospitality is a great industry to enter but would you have an upper hand with a marketing degree as well? Another thing to consider might be International Business. International Business would teach you about other cultures which would allow you to work anywhere in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are working for any kind of business, marketing always play a big role. I think I might go back to City College to take some marketing classes after graduation just to enhance my knowledge. I took one International Business class, which is a core class in my major and I found it was a great learning about cultures and people.

      Delete
  3. I don’t like accounting too, even though I am very good with numbers! I know a lot of my friends changed their major from accounting to something like finance or other business majors. Anyway, it is important to do something that you love to do. And you will do better on things that you are interested. My friend has a job in a big company’s International Department and needs to travel to London, Dubai, Hong Kong, Mainland China, France and Turkey at least once a year. That’s a dream job for a lot of people, but my friend hates it because he does not like traveling. He keeps the job because he needs that job to pay for his bills. He always tell me don’t work for a job for money, that’s very painful. I am glad that you are going to pursue a career that you like.

    ReplyDelete